Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Under the Sun

I have seen a lot of things under the sun.
I have seen many poor families under the sun.
I have seen my people pray to the Great Spirit.
I have seen parents crying over their kids.
Under the sun, I have seen a lot of things:
People trying to make themselves,
Falling trees, people running, yelling.
My name is Waneta and I have seen a lot.
The sun is so bright and the river is smiling.
But here things are different.
I have seen our people leaving our homeland Oregon.
I have seen a lot of things under the sun, bad and good.
Under the Sun.

- by Tanya Popovich, age 15


[Editor's note: This poem is the result of an English class project examining local history through literature. After reading poetry, fiction and non-fiction representing various groups who lived in or came to Oregon in the 1700s and 1800s, youth were asked to write a poem from the perspective of one of the residents or newcomers.]

No comments:

Post a Comment